The Vancity Humanitarian Fund was launched in response to the Syrian refugee crisis and to support Canada's offer to welcome more refugees to our communities. The Fund enables our members to make direct donations to local charities that help refugees get settled.
March 2, 2017 - Until May 30, 2017. Join Vancity and get $200 when setting up a pre-authorized payment or deposit. Plus, we'll make a donation of $100 for refugee families via our Vancity Humanitarian Fund**.
That's what Good Money™ is all about: building your wealth, while building a better community.
Give to this Fund
Donations of $20 or more will receive an official tax receipt. Official tax receipts will be issued to the individual or organization named on the credit card.
Supporting Humanitarian causes
- In early 2017, a total of $50,000 was given in grants of $25,000 to each of Abbotsford Community Services and Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria.
- April 18, 2016 - the Vancity Humanitarian Fund recently granted $100,000 to support local refugee resettlement initiatives through organizations like Immigrant Services Society, Mount Pleasant Family Centre, and Vancouver Association for Survivors of Torture. You can find out more details about how this grant will make a difference for refugees settling in our communities here. The next focus will be raise funds to support refugees settling outside of the Lower Mainland, in communities such as Abbotsford and Victoria.
- December 1, 2015 - In response to the current refugee crisis and to provide ongoing support for other humanitarian issues, Vancity has developed a new endowment fund with the Vancity Community Foundation and will match all donations up to $125,000. For example, a $50 donation now becomes a $100 gift.
- Funds donated to the Vancity Humanitarian Fund to Nov. 30, 2015 will be distributed to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), and matched by Vancity. Additionally, the Canadian government will match this money, designating it to their own Syrian Emergency Relief Fund.
- From Dec. 1 onwards and throughout the coming year, funds donated to the Vancity Humanitarian Fund will be designated to local charities that help refugees settle in our communities. These funds are not federally matched, but Vancity will match them.
- In addition to matching donations through our humanitarian fund, Vancity has taken further action to respond by sending a letter to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (from Tamara and board chair, Jan O'Brien) calling for immediate action to accept 100,000 refugees.
*Offer applies only when setting up a pre-authorized payment or deposit. Valid for one person 19-years or older. Must not be an existing B.C. credit union member. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer expires on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. Up to $25,000 in new funds. Good Money™ and Vancity™ are trademarks of Vancouver City Savings Credit Union.