The George Sisters' Fund was created to support immigrant and refugee women. The current focus is to support women to:
- Upgrade their credentials to allow them to work in Canada; and/or
- Obtain access to higher education for the first time, to increase skills and employability.
- In some cases, childcare and transportation expenses may also be covered. *
Give to this Fund
Donations of $20 or more will receive an official tax receipt. Official tax receipts will be issued to the individual or organization named on the credit card.
Apply for a bursary
The bursary amount available varies year to year, to a maximum of $5,000. To be eligible, students must be attending a community college, university, or equivalent educational institution** in BC. A demonstrated financial need is required.
If you wish to be considered as a recipient of this bursary, please submit:
- A personal letter (no more than 2 pages) outlining your goals and how the bursary will help you to achieve them.
- A simple budget detailing the expenses you are requesting support with. The total amount should be no more than $5,000.
- A copy of your current resume.
To learn more or apply, please contact Donor Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Donor Services before applying to confirm if funding is still available for the year.
* Due to Canada Revenue Agency regulations, Vancity Community Foundation cannot provide funding directly to individuals. For childcare and transportation expenses to be eligible, you must be applying with the support of a registered charity which can administer the funds on your behalf (e.g., an immigrant services organization).
** Due to Canada Revenue Agency regulations, Vancity Community Foundation can only disburse funds to public education institutions with registered charitable status. If you are attending a private college, university, or alternative education program, you may need to apply with the support of a registered charity which can administer the funds on your behalf (e.g., an immigrant services organization).
page updated May 28, 2021