Investing in Brighter Futures Surrey is an initiative of the Surrey Poverty Reduction Coalition and a partnership between Vancity Community Foundation, DIVERSEcity, Fraser Region Aboriginal Friendship Centre Association and Métis Nation of BC. This initiative’s purpose is to increase the take-up of the Canada Learning Bond (CLB) with vulnerable families in Surrey, specifically within First Nations, Inuit, Métis, and newcomer families.
What is the Canada Learning Bond?
The Canada Learning Bond (CLB) is money that the Government adds to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for children from low-income families. The Government of Canada contributes up to $2,000 to a RESP for an eligible child to pay the future costs of a full- or part-time studies after high school.
The Canada Learning Bond is available to children born on or after January 1, 2004 (0 – 15 years old), who:
- Are residents of Canada;
- Have valid Social Insurance Number
- Are from a low-income family (see net income eligibility here)
How to Get Started
What you will need:
- A Social Insurance Number (SIN) for the subscriber or the Business Number of the agency if the child is in care
- A SIN for the child
- If the subscriber is not the child’s primary caregiver, you will need their SIN too.
*Need a SIN, Birth Certificate or identification for you or your child? Let us know. We can assist you with that!
Other education savings incentives to ask about when you open a RESP:
- British Columbia Training & Education Savings Grant (BCTESG)
One-time payment of $1,200 for 6 to 8-year old children residents of BC.
- Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)
Receive 20% on the first $2,500 contributed annually to the child’s RESP (max per year: $500, max total CESG: $7,200).
- Additional Canada Education Savings Grant (A-CESG)
Receive an additional 10% or 20% on the first $500 you contribute annually.
The rate is based on income (max per year: $50 - 100, max total with CESG: $7,200).
- First Annual - Canada Learning Bond Sign-Up (View Poster)
November 16th, 2019
10:30 am – 4:30 pm
Surrey City Centre Library
For More Information
Project Coordinator, Investing in Brighter Futures Surrey
Canada Learning Bond Project