As a values-based financial cooperative, Vancity is committed to promoting social justice and financial inclusion for its members and those who reside in the communities it serves. The Vancity Humanitarian Fund was established in September 2015 in response to the Syrian refugee crisis and to provide ongoing support for organizations that address this and other humanitarian causes.
Give to this Fund
Donations of $20 or more will receive an official tax receipt. Official tax receipts will be issued to the individual or organization named on the credit card.
Vancity invests in this Fund and undertakes many other initiatives to promote financial literacy, encourage member well-being and to build healthy, sustainable communities – all contributing to a more resilient local economy.
Please join us in growing the Fund and our ability to respond to humanitarian issues, now and in the future, through your gift of Vancity Visa* Rewards points, Vancity shared success dollars, or an online donation.
Supporting humanitarian causes
- In October 2018, over $7,500 was donated to The Canadian Red Cross to support BC Wildfire Relief efforts. Half of this funding was from Vancity members, and their generous donations were matched by the Fund. Thanks to another donation-matching program of the Provincial Government, Red Cross received over $11,000 in total thanks to Vancity member donations.
- In November 2017, the Fund granted $9,000 to Doctors Without Borders to support Rohingya refugee relief – and in support of Vancity staff member Sabrina Meherally’s community fundraising efforts.
- In early 2017, a total of $50,000 was given in grants of $25,000 to each of Abbotsford Community Services and Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria.
- In April 2016, the Vancity Humanitarian Fund granted $100,000 to support local refugee resettlement initiatives through Immigrant Services Society, Mount Pleasant Family Centre, and Vancouver Association for Survivors of Torture.
- In December 2015, $33,400 in Vancity members and community donations to the Vancity Humanitarian Fund were matched with a $33,400 contribution from Vancity credit union and distributed to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). Member & community donations were also matched by the Canadian government, resulting in a $100,200 contribution to Syrian emergency relief overseas.